Any lists of Values for FEA?

For posts about your own soft robot designs. Look here for Super-Releaser official releases, robot downloads, and details on specific designs.
Chrisdc
Any lists of Values for FEA?

Post by Chrisdc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm trying to get into soft robotics but an issue I'm having is that I can't find the mechanical properties needed for the various silicones commonly used. I've found a couple in papers, but has anyone have a more comprehensive list? Preferably covering a range of smooth on silicones.
The software I'm using (Inventor) only has one silicone material, which seems ridiculous.

Is there any rule of thumb for connecting Shore values to silicone properties that are useful for FEA?

Also does anyone have experience with Nastran-in-cad?

Gianteye
Site Admin

Re: Any lists of Values for FEA?

Post by Gianteye » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 pm

This is an issue we've struggled with as well. So far, we haven't found a single all-encompassing source for elastomer properties. Additionally, FEA doesn't capture systems like soft robots very well. It's great for girders and oil rigs, but tends to not have a lot of predictive power when aimed at squishy things.

This is why we've put our effort into ways of quickly iterating on soft robots rather than exploring them through simulation.

I don't have any experience Nastran-in-cad, sorry to say.
Work stuff - Super-Releaser
Personal Stuff - HAR.MS

Chrisdc

Re: Any lists of Values for FEA?

Post by Chrisdc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks Gianteye. I'm trying to combine soft actuators with more rigid bones, so hopefully it may be a bit more useful to me than in a fully soft system. I'll give it a go with the numbers I found in papers and see how it plays out.