DIY Soft Robotic Tentacle

For posts about your own soft robot designs. Look here for Super-Releaser official releases, robot downloads, and details on specific designs.
Harrison Young
DIY Soft Robotic Tentacle

Post by Harrison Young » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:16 am

Hi Everyone,

(Top: uninflated tentacle Bottom: inflated tentacle)

I made a soft robotics tentacle that can easily be made at home without any specialized equipment or training. It is made by bonding three separate extending actuators in pyramid shape.

The tentacle is an easy and affordable soft robotics project for beginners. The molds are made from ballpoint pens, only take a few minutes to make and do not require any careful measurements. A single trial size unit of Ecoflex 00-50 contains enough rubber to make over 40 tentacles. This makes it an ideal project for schools or STEM camps to introduce students to the field of soft robotics.

(One of the three molds used to make the tentacle)

The tentacle takes about 7 hours to make if the rubber cures at room temperature. However, the fabrication time can be reduced to one hour if the rubber is allowed to cure at 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYjo-W2ctU
This is a tutorial on how to make the tentacle.

Gianteye
Site Admin

Re: DIY Soft Robotic Tentacle

Post by Gianteye » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:57 am

Excellent work! I really appreciate your use of everyday materials as molds. It makes your work super easy to experiment with at home and learn from.

I'd like to blog about this project. Would that be alright? Is there anything additional I should include?
Work stuff - Super-Releaser
Personal Stuff - HAR.MS

Harrison Young

Post by Harrison Young » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:15 am

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the project. Feel free to blog about it. I wrote an instructable describing how to make the tentacle. It may be worth including so anyone who is interested does not have to search for the instructions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Sof ... -Tentacle/

Gianteye
Site Admin

Post by Gianteye » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:52 am

Howdy! We posted your work on the blog! http://superreleaser.com/blog/2016/8/7/ ... d-printing

Thanks again for sharing it here. I hope a ton of people see it. The way you design soft robots makes it super easy for people to get started making their own and I feel it's a great way to introduce people to the technology.
Work stuff - Super-Releaser
Personal Stuff - HAR.MS

Brad Cahill

Post by Brad Cahill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am

Nice job! Thanks for the clarification.
Dude, that's so much fun playing free games online. I just play the most popular games with no registration at all. You can try them too. The choice is yours!